Sunday 7 October 2012

Public Transport.

Boring stuff first, apologies.

I've got a job. Loving it. But I'm not a massive mong and realise I can't write about it on here, unless I want to get myself fired. So this' is going to go in a different direction for now; general ramblings about my life. Only the interesting ones though. Nothing too personal (again, not a massive mong, don't want to ruin my life etc.), but relevant to me. At this moment in time, English/writing/editing/media is looking like the way forward for me (very broad spectrum I realise) so ideally, I need to keep this up.

So here goes; went to Manchester at the weekend to visit my sister. Amazing city; I think it's impossible not to love it, there's something there for everyone. Literally, everyone. The problem was actually getting there. I was going to have to train it, and I'm not a fan.  

I'm a massive hater of trains, and public transport generally. Especially trains though. Yes there's the obvious fact that they're rarely on time (railway companies are doing a top notch job...) and cost a bomb considering the awful service, but it's also the people you get on trains. I think I must have a sign on my face that says 'weirdos please, sit next to me, and chat away to your heart's content'. It's like they gravitate towards to me. I think this' mainly due to the fact that I look like a child; a teenager on a good day. Add this to the fact that I have a nice, friendly face (looks can be deceiving) and it's like people feel the need to talk to me. Ignore that need. Please. 

So my usual train etiquette is as follows; head down, avoid all eye contact, put in headphones and ignore everyone. Works like a charm. So imagine my surprise when I begin to have a conversation, on a train, with a normal person, and actually find myself interested and forthcoming with questions. Two weeks at work and apparently I'm a social butterfly. To be fair, this guy was amazing; plastic surgeon (disapproving looks all round), who, wait for it, works on skin cancer patients. Bet you feel bad for judging him now (I know I did). Not only this, but he's in the process of helping develop some medical app for the army. What. A. Legend. And here he is, talking about his work and his family (who are all as amazing as him), and he keeps asking questions about me, as if he's genuinely interested. What a guy. 

So maybe being sociable isn't such a bad thing after all? Or I found the only exception to the rule. Probably the latter. Either way, I think I've got my new job to thank for my new found social skills; cheers. 

Add to the fact that the train was actually on time, and I was pretty much ecstatic. Don't get me wrong, I still hate public transport and will avoid it all costs, but it was nice having a positive experience. After about 10 years of using it, about time really.

Saying this, on my journey back I saw a man wearing Uggs; man Uggs = Muggs - pretty apt name if you ask me. Uggs are a controversial item of clothing as it is; I still can't work out if I hate them or not. And that's just on women, on men it's a completely different matter. It's just wrong. Grow a pair of balls and buy some real shoes. But that's just my opinion. Good thing he didn't try talk to me; could have been a very awkward conversation. Me trying not to laugh in his face, and him getting quite offended.

So there you have it, the pros and cons of public transport. Pros; the train may be on time and you might have a decent conversation with a normal person. Cons; the train will almost definitely be delayed after you've spent far too much on a ticket, and you'll be sitting next to an absolute cretin who feels the need to cough on you/talk to you/radiate BO. I'll stick to driving thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment